Rotten Robyn
7.24.2004
 
Our Schools - Providing a Disservice to Children!
Our schools are really providing a disservice to children.

I know this because my son, age 8 1/2, wants to be a rock star when he grows up.

I specifically remember a conversation I had with Wesley Hostler on the playground in 2nd grade. Wesley asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, and I answered an actor or a princess. Nevermind the chances for royal lineage were slim, Wesley simply replied, "you can't be an actor, you're a girl. You'd have to be an actress". So in the 25 or so years since I've been in the 2nd grade, nobody, nobody has gone to the trouble to educate children on the realities of grown-up jobs. They've taught our kids sex ed and diversity and environmentalism, but nobody has said when you grow up you will most likely NOT be a ballerina or an astronaut. Nobody is saying words like insurance, customer service, food service, assembly line, sales, actuary, call center.... Even worse, I'm sure they are not pointing out the fact that a great many of them will experience unemployment, downsizing and layoffs and preparing them for those seasons in their lives.

Now, I know the parents should have some responsibility. But I actually refuse to be the one to burst this bubble.

-Robyn



Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger