Rotten Robyn
7.19.2004
 
The Search for Strawberry Soda, Part 1
I met a guy Saturday night. Yea for me!

I didn't really want to hang with him, but once I found out he was a sheriff's Deputy....I felt kind of obligated. It's hard to brush off a guy who can potentially help you with your tickets (especially when you drive like me) or more importantly has the ability to cuff you and incarcerate you.

Let me paint the picture. Starbucks. Me: strapless Express sundress. Light blue, black pinstripes, flower embroidery. Laces up the back. Black 4 inch high heeled strappy sandals. I am feeling pretty good about me. Him: biker t-shirt, and get ready for this.....a camouflage ball cap. For those of you who don't know me...I have this thing about ball caps/manners. Especially ball caps in public places, most especially in restaurants and church. Take them off! It's bad manners! He also had a mustache. Gentlemen, facial hair is a bad thing. I conduct a relentless and daily hair removal process on about 90% of my body, you can shave your little face! Don't get me wrong...his appearance was fine. I'd just had to put him in a general category of "not my type". At this point, I'm not really sure what my type is, but he wasn't it. He had one thing going for him though...he drinks coffee!

We hung out for a while and chatted. Really, he chatted. I was held prisoner (but what can I say? The guy is used to dealing with a captive audience of inmates. He probably treats everyone this way!) and listened. Similar interest: Nascar. However, he likes driver Jeff Gordon. I like Dale Earnhardt Jr. For those of you who don't know anything about the sport, we might as well be from different planets.

He was kind enough to show me his three tattoos. One on his chest and two on his legs. Two of them involved skulls. Yes, he showed these to me right there in Starbucks, in front of God and the world. He told me how he'd made a promise to himself that he would get all the tattoos he wanted before age 35....two more years and lots of patches of skin left. I guess it is good to meet a guy with clear, defined goals.

He also said he had a dog who weighs 90 pounds. Said the dog is so sweet and has a heart of gold. So what! This is an animal who weighs approximately 20 lbs. (if you go by my driver's license) less than me. I'm not taking any chances!

I mainly sat in a chair, drank my water and felt my eyes glaze over as this guy went on and on and on about his job. It was interesting and all, but geez - every once in a while it's good to pause and let the other person talk. Ask a question. Take a breath. I found out this guy's entire life history, and I don't think he even learned the basic things about me - like what I do for a living, do I have kids, etc.

I did manage to mention I'm vegetarian. The guy looked at me like I was the biggest freak on the face of the earth. He said, "I've never met anyone who didn't eat meat". You could tell the concept of a meal that didn't include a slaughtered animal was genuinely shocking to him.

The good news. It's nice to know, at a time when I've been kind of down on myself, felt like maybe I wasn't good enough for anybody, there is hope. Hey - there are guys interested in talking to me. Even if they are only interested in talking about themselves!

-Robyn





Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger