Rotten Robyn
8.08.2004
 
National Do Not Call Registry
Recently, thanks to our lawmakers, the "National Do-Not-Call Registry" was enacted. This is where you enter your telephone number and telemarketers are not allowed to call you. It is a big no-no.

We should not be terribly surprised or impressed that our lawmakers thought of this. After all, our government is still mostly comprised of males. And men have had their own do-not-call registry for years. It is called the entire female population.

It is a grand conspiracy of males to tell females they will call. Then they don't. I have a theory that they have all banded together to do this. Then, when a guy truly and deeply cares for a girl, he will actually call. That is how everyone knows he is serious, much like the Batman signal flashed in the sky. It goes something like this....."You are never going to believe what happened! He said he would call me on Tuesday night...and guess what! He did!". (And shame on us girls for thinking a guy is all that just because he actually does what he says he is going to do.)

There is one other possible scenario. It's rare though. The guy was raised properly. A gentleman. Has manners. A man of his word. I know, shocking. Utterly shocking.

I was completely taken aback when I started dating and learned that guys will actually tell you they will call you, but they won't. It took me a couple of first-hand experiences and watching every episode of "Sex in the City" to figure this one out. I am so naive. I had no idea.

I just can't do it. I just can't tell someone I'm going to call, and not do it. At my absolute worst, I will wait too long to call you, and I can assure you I will feel very guilty about it.

I know times have changed, and I can pick up the phone and call a guy myself, but I'm still kind of old-fashioned. I find this difficult to do. I don't own a copy of "The Rules". I will never go out and buy one. I will never be that ultra modern chic sophisticated worldly dater. If you call me up and ask me out, and I don't have a conflict, I'll go. I won't say no to a date on Friday just because you waited until Wednesday to ask me. I won't intentionally ignore your messages for days because I think it will make you want me more. I'm just not that kind of girl, and I never will be. I don't want to be.

And please don't think you are anything special just because I care if you call. If someone says they are going to call me, and doesn't, I become genuinely concerned. I will think you are stuck in a ditch, have been attacked by a wild dingo or have fallen and can't get up. I will wonder if I should bake you cookies, send you flowers, visit you in the hospital. Don't get too excited... just because I'm concerned doesn't mean I want to marry you and have your babies. It just means that I am nice. Don't forget I'm also genuinely concerned about the homeless guy on the street corner when I give him a dollar, but I have no expectation whatsoever that I will ever see him again or that we will have any sort of lasting relationship.

-Robyn....no rules, just right

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger