Rotten Robyn
8.20.2004
 
non-repressed memories
OK, I've had excessive amounts of benadryl today, so I guess I'm being reflective and not the least bit funny. So that's the big disclaimer on this corny sentimental blog.

the best childhood memories...

My Mom made us cherry turnovers to eat while we were watching the Wizard of Oz...you know, back when it was cool because they only showed it on t.v. once a year and you couldn't get instant electronic gratification by video/DVD.

My mom makes the best pie. She would make a cherry pie and it would be divided into 8 pieces, distributed as follows: 1 piece each Mom, Dad, Ken, Robyn, Justin, and the next morning for breakfast, 1 piece each for Ken, Robyn & Justin. Pie for breakfast - mmmmmm.

Saturday mornings I would go eat breakfast with my Dad and his work friends while my brothers stayed in bed asleep. I always loved getting up early and going with him. If we didn't go out to breakfast, Dad would go to Clark's Pastry Shop and buy us cookies to eat.

Going to eat at My Pie Pizza with my Grandma.

My Dad would take me to Street's to go shopping. My Mom said he could by me a dress, but he bought me two.

My Dad always took us to the movies on Christmas Eve. To the theatre that only showed one movie. We always got dressed up. Once he took me to see Snow White and I got to wear my Snow White dress.

Getting to spend the night at Grandma and Grandpa's house. On the way, got to stop at 7-Eleven and get a giant Butterfinger and an icy. In the morning, there would be donuts.

I got to be Princess Isabella in a school play.

Playing Barbies and swimming at Libby Quaid's house. Riding my apple-green bike.

Reading my Nancy Drew books. This was before the days of the giant book superstores and the internet. It was hard to find all the books to complete my collection. But my dad traveled, and wherever he went he would find a bookstore and bring me back a book I didn't have.

The very best birthday parties. There was one party...I was probably about 6. This was before the days of "Party Bazaar". My mom made all of us princess crowns out of construction paper. We had jewelry of candy necklaces and bracelets. My mom made me a cake that had cinderella and the royal coach on it. The party was in my backyard on the picnic table. There was another party, a pizza party, where my mom made invitations out of construction paper that looked like slices of pizza. At the party we all made our own personal pizzas. No Chuck-E-Cheese - what a concept!

After church, when my parents were both socializing in the fellowship hall, telling my dad that my mom wanted to go out to lunch and innocently asking where he wanted to go, then finding my mom and telling her my dad wanted to go to lunch...etc. Worked every time.

Our family vacation at Yellowstone National Park. Me and Mom and Justin would walk down to the "General Store" everyday. They had an old-fashioned ice-cream parlor. (note to self...amazing how many of the happy childhood memories involve food - obsessed much?). I also remember our trip to Mount Rushmore. We traveled in a camper. My Grandparents had a camper too and we met up with them. I liked to visit my Grandma in their camper and we would play Old Maid and make Rice Crispie treats. I think about that every time I see Rice Crispies.

My Grandma sneaking me off to get my ears pierced without permission. Classic.

Family Christmas parties where there would always be cold kraft mac n cheese made by my Aunt Debbie, and my Aunt Hazel's pea salad with chunks of cheese in it. I wish I had the recipe - for the pea salad that is...pretty much have the whole mac n cheese thing mastered.

The Christmas where I got a silver evening bag from my grandparents. My brother Ken wrote my name on the outside of it with red lipstick.

Me loosing my avon bunny necklace in pre-school, and Jon T. Heath finding it for me. I still have that necklace. The ears wiggle. I should totally wear it.

-Robyn...I want a poncho so damn bad I can hardly stand it.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger