Rotten Robyn
10.31.2004
 
Soy Goodness and Nate the Great Prom Date
Happy Fall Festival
I did dress up Friday night. I wore one of my prom dresses, circa 1987. It's pink. Not pink like today's pink, but 1987 pink and if you were there you know what I mean. Taffeta. Not a fabric that comes from nature. Oh, did I mention pink with white polka dots? Giant sleeves. And a huge, ginormous bow so big it only could have come out of the 80's. Why did we feel so compelled to put these giant bows on our heiny's? Now-a-days I try to only minimize the size of my backside.

I was a bit down on myself Friday. But then I put on the prom dress and thought, hey.....it's been 17 years since I wore this, and I can still fit into it. Score one for me! OMG, it's been 17 years since I wore the prom dress. I had to giggle to myself thinking the last time I wore it I at least got a nice, fancy dinner and got to kiss a boy and wear a corsage. Now Nate was Nate the Prom Date and we ordered pizza at 9 o'clock at night. He will still kiss me, although begrudgingly.

My parents were having dinner at "the club" so Nate and I stopped by prior to taking in the festivities. We were quite the hit amongst the old people eating at the club on Friday night. Then we went to two halloween carnivals....oh, pardon me - fall festivals - on Friday night. Nobody said look at that sad old woman wearing her prom dress, so that was good. I did receive some positive comments on my attire, mainly from the teenage crowd who thought my dress was the coolest thing ever. Coincidentally, most of them were dressed in the 80's garb complete with legwarmers, etc.

So after the two carnivals and trick or treating and one "trunk or treat" at another church and various and sundry other ways to collect candy, my son now has a huge bowl of it on my kitchen counter. I did go through it and carefully inspect my son's candy. Not necessarily to look for open packages, etc., but more to look for the good stuff.

I've done this before. I know how it works. He will eat virtually none of the candy. I will pick out the good stuff that I like - butterfingers, almond joys, blow pops, and I noticed some white chocolate in there. I will eat that stuff, which I really don't need even if I can still fit into the prom dress. Then sometime around Easter I will throw away the rest of the crap before we get all the candy from the bunny. Then he doesn't eat the Easter candy, I pick at that, throw it away around Halloween-ish. It's a vicious cycle.

Someone did have the good sense to give my son a huge handful of dove chocolates. I thought what a wonderful person. I was singing the praises of the nice house who gives dove chocolates. Nathan said, "oh, that was grandma". Good, that means she's probably got the rest of the bag at her house.

One of the festi-falls was at a Baptist Church. For our attendance we received a booklet by Billy Graham and a pumpkin prayer. You are supposed to recite the prayers as you carve your pumpkin and it tells you what shapes to carve things in - for instance you are supposed to make the jack-o-lantern nose into the shape of the cross. I think it's great that churches are ministering to the nice children and families who happen to be at church inside the church participating in this church activity.

Breakfast this a.m.
Shhhhh.....I made hot cocoa for my kiddo out of soy milk. I watched him take a drink. I thought maybe his bein' raised on the whole milk from a cows teat suitable for baby cows might have made him overly sensitisized but he did not notice. Score one for mom! But don't think I am entirely evil because I also made him those Pillsbury rolls and I always cut them in half and make them itty-bitty because everything tiny is not only cuter, it's more delicious.

-Robyn...more delicious and did I mention I can still wear my prom dress


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger